Monday, April 12, 2010

sweet.

Some households fight over finances or chores or children. My household fights over desserts.

My mom made my favorite cookies last week - peanut butter white chocolate chip - they make my mouth water just thinking about them. She gave me two bags; one with 6 cookies and one with 7 cookies. Never did she specify that one bag was for me or one bag was for my husband...I just assumed that all the cookies wouldn't fit in one bag. Nor at the time did I realize that the bags were unproportioned.

These cookies are so good that you can't just have one at a time, they're a take-2-cookies-at-a-time kinda goodness. So over the past couple of days I saw the bags dwindle. But I wasn't panicked. I had proportioned my rations so that Sunday night I would still have one after dinner and one for the next day's lunch. At least I planned, and I placed (hid) them in the fridge.

After dinner, the husband walks into the kitchen and looks at the empty location where the cookies had once been. He's livid. This avid, "I don't eat sweets" person is mad that the cookies are missing. I calmly, and simply, explain to him that one is for dessert and one is for MY lunch the next day. He proceeds to tell me that I have eaten ALL the cookies. NO!? I couldn't have - there were 13 cookies! Then I remembered that he had, in fact, eaten 2 of them. This is where he mathematically reminds me that that means I've eaten 9 of the cookies. Um, yikes.

He decides to compromise - he'll eat the last ice cream drumstick. What?! The last one?! This is where the argument ensues and he tells me that I cannot have my cake and eat it too.

So he got the last two cookies. I got the last ice cream drumstick. He likes to think that he won, but in reality I feel like I've won. I ate 9 of the 13 cookies...and I got the last drumstick (the kind with the little bit of chocolate-filled cone at the end).

All of this happens the same week after Easter - in which case I decide the day after Easter that I need a Cadbury Egg. Monday we travelled to a multitude of Targets, Walgreens, Wal-Marts, and CVSs in search for the last remaining Cadbury eggs in DFW. At our 7th location, a Walgreens close to our house, we spot boxes upon boxes of Cadbury eggs...but not the cream ones, lots of orange cream and carmel, but no original cream. Then. Shoved in the back of a shelf I see a hint of primary-colored foil gleaming in the fluorescent light. Could. it. be! The last remaining original, cream-filled Cadbury eggs in DFW?!

{I need to mention that our hunt for these eggs was vocalized at every location, so individuals in a 2-aisle radius could hear the desperation in my voice}

As soon as I go to reach for the last container of Cadbury eggs, a crazy grandma sneaks in like a lurking ninja and plops them in her basket. What?! But those were mine. She knew they were mine. I spotted them first!! It took everything that the good Lord gave me to not steal this grandma's basket...or slap her.

Needless to say, I was upset. So upset that FB and my school friends got to hear about it. Some of them even went on a quest to find the last remaining Cadbury eggs in their neck of the woods.

One friend introduced me to Lindt chocolate. Let me tell you, if you've not experienced these little bits of edible heaven, you are missing out. She surprised me several days in a row by putting one in my box. They were scrumptious.

Another friend surprised me this morning with my very own collection of Cadbury eggs! It made my Monday (and Tuesday - Friday)! Four little containers of mini-Cadbury eggs - a dozen each. I was doing pretty good, until 4:15 pm. The nutritional label (that's almost oxymoronic on a chocolate box) said that a serving size was 4 mini-eggs. So I ate a serving size. +1. +3. +5. What?! I ate 9 mini-eggs?! Gaw, they were so good! I feel that since I didn't eat ALL of the dozen that I could still eat dessert tonight.

And I didn't bring them home to share.

{After this post, I am giving up sweets in order to fit into my clothes...once again.}

No comments:

Post a Comment